I pledge to reduce my household (of 7 people strong) consumption of unsustainable products and to properly dispose of household waste. I plan to do this through:
(1) Reducing purchases of products with plastic packaging (I have been bulk buying dry food using reusable storage containers, buying fresh produce with reusable bags and using keep cups and drink bottles to eliminate single-use plastic waste)
(2) Minimising meat and diary consumption - eating plant based (less plastic packaging wasted on a higher vegetable diet and healthier)
(3) Buying second hand clothes to reduce fast fashion consumption
(4) Reusing and repurposing resources that would otherwise be discard (I have learnt to sow to fix or repurpose old clothes and have been reusing old milk cartoons and egg cartoons for planting vegetables)
(5) Compost old scraps, recycle and utilise RedCycle when necessary to reduce landfill waste
(6) Grow my own produce (especially produce that is difficult to buy with plastic free packing)
Through implementing these steps my family has already seen the impact it has made on our weekly landfill waste! We are excited to continue to reduce our household rubbish and live a more sustainable lifestyle! I hope to reduce our landfill rubbish by half by the end of this year.
This image is of my most recent bulk foods shopping haul where I filled my repurposed containers with olive oil, shampoo, conditioner, oats, rice, peanut butter, flour and, cocoa and the blue bottle is homemade almond milk!